Nominate your favorite teacher on the web at any time. The University Teaching Awards Committee will meet in the Fall semester and make selections.
A nomination letter explaining why your nominee should win must be uploaded with your submission for any teacher to be considered.
- Annual Deadline: October 1
- Tanner Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching by Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Chapman Family Teaching Awards
Each year, we recognize faculty, staff and students for outstanding teaching. The University Committee on Teaching Awards strongly encourages you to nominate deserving faculty members and graduate teaching assistants for distinguished teaching awards. The committee will review the nominees, collect additional information and recommend winners to the Chancellor. This year, the committee will recommend recipients for six types of awards:
1. Board of Governors’ Award for Excellence in Teaching: The Board of Governors gives this award to a tenured faculty member on each campus of the UNC System for excellent and exceptional undergraduate teaching over a sustained period of time.
2. Mentor Award for Lifetime Achievement: This award acknowledges lifetime contributions to teaching, learning and mentoring beyond the classroom.
3. Distinguished Teaching Awards for Post-Baccalaureate Instruction:Four awards are given to faculty members for exceptional teaching of post-baccalaureate students.
4. Awards to Faculty for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching: To full-time faculty members. Five Tanner Awards, one Friday Award, and two Sitterson Awards are given to full-time faculty members.
5. Tanner Awards to Graduate Teaching Assistants: Five Tanner Awards are given to graduate teaching assistants for excellence in undergraduate teaching.
6. Chapman Family Teaching Awards: Three or four Chapman Family Awards are given to full-time faculty members for excellence in undergraduate teaching.
Click here to read the original call for nominations from Committee Chair Pam Joyner. For more information about UNC-Chapel Hill Teaching Awards, contact:
Office of the Provost, CB# 3000, 104 South Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3000