Writing a Letter of Support
How to write a strong letter of support for a University Teaching Award (or, what does the committee look for?)
- State how long you have known the person and in what capacity. “I have known Dr. Smith for 1 year as he was my instructor for PSYCH 101 and 102”
- Describe what the instructor has done to facilitate your learning or experiences at Carolina and provide examples when appropriate. “Dr. Smith sets up a very positive atmosphere is his class. He does this by getting to know students names and his daily, albeit corny, jokes. He is very approachable and I have gone to him for help with the class and after leaving his office feel like I have been helped and know how to better prepare for class”
- How does the instructor facilitate learning?
- Are there particular instructional strategies used that are effective?
- Is there alignment between course objectives and assessments?
- What is the rapport like between instructor and students?
- Does the instructor facilitate rapport between students?
- How effective is the instructor in providing feedback?