The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will be able to name several of our faculty members to distinguished professorships this year. These professorships include the following: Kenan, William R. Kenan, Jr., and Burton Craige. All are open to faculty members throughout the University except Burton Craige Professorships, which are limited to faculty in the School of Law and the Department of Political Science. Nominations are requested for exceptionally distinguished faculty members to be considered for these various professorships.
Any individual nominated must be a tenured full professor and must have a record of scholarly and educational distinction. Please be aware that University Distinguished Professorships are not awarded solely as a token of gratitude for administrative service, as retention offers, nor are they intended for faculty members on the verge of retirement.
It is understood that some faculty members already hold school-based distinguished or term professorships which they would vacate it they are awarded a University Distinguished Professorship. Previous award of a school-based or term professorship will not influence consideration for a University Distinguished Professorship. No self-nominations will be accepted.
To nominate a faculty member, please submit electronic copies of the following (each as an individual PDF or Word attachment) to DistProf2017@unc.edu no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 24, 2017:
- your nomination letter explaining how and why this individual was selected for nomination
- a copy of the individual’s curriculum vitae
- a list of three external references for your nominee with complete contact information, including email addresses. Please select external reviewers as you would for any APT promotion with an eye towards avoiding conflicts of interest and eliciting an external assessment of the quality of the nominee’s contributions. If the nominee is screened to go forward by the Selection Committee, the Selection Committee will directly solicit the external letters drawing on your suggested names.
- a letter of support from the individual’s Dean with a ranking of other nominations from the school; please include assessments of scholarship, service, teaching and engagement. Please indicate if the individual has national or international prominence and how that is apparent.
- in units with departments or divisions, a second letter of support from the Department or Division Chair with a ranking of nominations from the department; please include assessments of scholarship, service, teaching and engagement. Please indicate if the individual has national or international prominence and how that is apparent.
A faculty committee composed of current distinguished professors will review the nominations. The Chair of this committee will be Bland Simpson, Kenan Distinguished Professor in the Department of English and Comparative Literature. The committee will recommend to me individuals to be considered for the available professorships, indicating which professorship may be most appropriate for a particular individual, and we expect to make the selections by May of 2017.
Please direct any questions to Nel Resendes Cooper at 919.962.2037